CIO - Job Description - Salary - IT - News
H-1B Visas taken up by outsourcersApril 1st, 2014
Offshore outsourcing companies continued to make up the majority of the top H-1B visa users in 2013, according to new government data. These offshore firms have been adding employees by the thousands as their revenues increase. Infosys (India based) led the list in 2013 with 6,298 visas approved, just edging out Tata (India based) which had 6258 visas approved last year. Cognizant, a New Jersey-based IT services provider with major operations overseas, led the list in 2012 but dropped to 3rd. The company had 5,186 visas in 2013 versus 9,281 visas approved in 2012 versus 5,095 in 2011.
Employment News Digest - IT Job Market Not PositiveMarch 21st, 2014
- CIO confidence wanes Hiring slows CIO worries IT job market growth continues to slow from 9,800 jobs in January and 5,500 jobs in February to 5,400 in March ...
- IT Job Market News CIO confidence wanes IT job market growth slows from 9,800 jobs in January to 7,900 in May 87,600 jobs added in the last 12 months CIO confidence...
- CFOs Sour on US Economy IT Hiring Anemic in November CFOs and CIO drive Anemic IT Hiring Trend in November IT job market growth is only 400 job in November, 4,300 in the last 3...
- IT Job Market Growth Slows IT job market growth slows to 5,700 in February from 9,800 in January according to BLS data says Janco Even with the unemployment rate falling...
- IT Job Market Improving? Some say the IT Job Market is improving from the 2009 slump IT Job Market Improving? An on-line job portal, Dice says IT degree graduates...
- more info
Career planning is critical for IT ProsMarch 17th, 2014
Given the nature of technical work and technical people, most generic career advice is close to useless. And too much of it is just plain unrealistic. You don't need yet another list of 24 things you can do to advance your career.
No one has time to focus on that many things, and honestly, most of them make little difference. It's better to select the one essential thing that will make a big difference and focus on that exclusively.more info
Dowload 2014 IT Salary SurveyMarch 13th, 2014
Get a free copy of the 2014 IT Salary Survey. Just got to http://www.e-janco.com/Salary.htm.more info
Current College Grads in IT get lower starting salariesMarch 10th, 2014
One more study agrees with the salary data that Janco Associates published in January of this year.
Starting salaries for recent college graduates with computer science degrees slipped a bit in 2013. The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) reports in its January 2014 Salary Survey that the overall average starting salary for new graduates rose 2.6% from 2012. But for those with computer science degrees, the average starting salary went from $59,221 in 2012 to $59,084 in 2013, a drop of 0.2%.more info
Perks and pay levels fall at IntelFebruary 24th, 2014
The total compensation packages of top executives at Intel fell sharply in 2013 as a result of changes in the way the chip maker pays senior employees.
Nowhere was this more apparent than at the very top of Intel's executive ranks.
Brian Krzanich, the company's recently appointed CEO, was paid a base salary of $887,500 in 2013. A year earlier Paul Otellini, the outgoing CEO, received $1.2 million.
Krzanich's compensation package also included a $1.8 million bonus and $6.3 million in Intel stock for a total of $9.1 million. Last year, he received $15.7 million from Intel, the majority of which came in stock.
The total compensation for President Renee James dropped from $15.2 million to $7.7 million.- more info
Internet is Everything - Is IT ready for the shiftFebruary 23rd, 2014
The fast pace of technology is changing our notion of the modern organization. As barriers to market entry are falling, customers, employees, and citizens alike are demanding new ways to interact. This trend is moving us into the next wave of Internet evolution known as the "Internet of Everything" (IoE).
IT Job Descriptions
Connecting people, data, processes, and things, IoE is creating a digital disruption with great societal value as "everything" is coming online. Organizations of all types are realizing the benefit of this increased connectedness through operational efficiency and improved customer and citizen experiences. Many organizations are using IoE connections to run - not just monitor - complex operations in manufacturing, healthcare, financial services, utilities, and the public sector to generate and deliver significant value. Is IT ready for this shift?- more info
10 Hot New Jobs in ITFebruary 18th, 2014
As technology changes new jobs titles are appearing in IT. The 10 hot new jobs that have high demand are:
- Chief Digital Officer
- Chief Mobile Officer
- Manager Vendor Management
- Manager Video and Web Content
- Project Manager ERP
- Supervisor BYOD Support
- BYOD Support Specialist
- Cloud Computing Architect
- ERP Architect
- Audio Visual Technician
Chief Digital Officer - CDO - Fact or FadFebruary 15th, 2014
According to recent data only 6 percent of companies have a Chief Digital Officers at the time of this article, but they are "springing up faster than we can count them," says Aron. Some other key findings in this research on the CDO role:
- The early CIO survey evidence suggests that just under 40 percent of Chief Digital Officers are strategic advisors to the board and CEO on digital business strategy, just over 40 percent are digital marketing officers, and the rest have other digital-related roles.
- Companies and public sector agencies that have Chief Digital Officers are much more focused on growth (relative to cost efficiency) than their counterparts without one
- Companies that have Chief Digital Officers are three times as likely to do more insourcing next year.
Earlier this year a major research firm forecasted that by 2015, 25 percent of businesses will employ a CDO. It went on to predict that 20 percent of CIOs have already begun to take on the role of the CDO.- more info
Nine of the highest paying 10 IT jobs are for skills related to Big DataFebruary 12th, 2014
Tech salaries saw a nearly 3% bump last year, and IT pros with expertise in big data-related languages, databases and skills enjoyed some of the largest paychecks.
Silicon Valley tops the list of highest paid metropolitan areas when it comes to tech talent, with an average annual salary of $108,603 and an average annual bonus of $12,458.
When asked if they are satisfied with their salaries, respondents were divided. Nearly half were either very satisfied (17%) or somewhat satisfied (37%). Some were neither satisfied nor dissatisfied (16%). At the other extreme, respondents were somewhat dissatisfied (20%) and very dissatisfied (10%).
Companies are betting big that harnessing data can play a major role in their competitive plans, and that is leading to high pay for critical skills. Technology professionals should be volunteering for big data projects, which makes them more valuable to their current employer and more marketable to other employers.more info