CIO - Job Description - Salary - IT - News
Microsoft employees' opinion of CEO Satya Nadella fallsJuly 28th, 2014
Microsoft employees' opinion of CEO Satya Nadella Falls
Satya Nadella, Microsoft's CEO approval in June, before the company's biggest-ever layoff, was high enough to place him in the top 30 of U.S. chief executives. After the job cuts his approval rating has fallen significantly.
IT Job Descriptionsmore info
IT Employment News - Current PostingsJuly 16th, 2014
IT Employment News
- Top 10 issues for CIOs in 2014 Top 10 issues for CIOs in 2014 The top 10 issues that CIOs need to address in 2014 are driven by the current economic and...
- IT Staff Turnover Rates at Very Low Levels IT Staff Turnover Rates at Very Low Levels In a recent level news story in ComputerWorld it was reported that the Society for Information Management...
- Employee Recognition as a Motivator Employee recognition should be a critical component of a companys culture and employee motivator. On average 1-2% of payroll is spent on awards and programs...
- Top 10 steps to an effective IT organization Top 10 rules of the road for CIOs when creating IT organizations Top 10 rules of the road for CIOs as they build a modern...
- Top 10 CIO Productivity and Budgeting Issues CIO Productivity Kit The best companies, and their CIOs, recognize the importance of ready access to the right information to drive the right choices...
IT Job Descriptionsmore info
Mid-Year 2014 IT Salary Survey ReleasedJuly 1st, 2014
Janco conducts an I.T. salary survey twice a year in conjunction with eJobDescription.com. The new survey includes data from 256 large and 808 mid-sized organizations contacted during the second quarter of 2014.
Salaries have not increased significantly and neither has the number of I.T. jobs, the survey finds. Although companies added 32,200 jobs in the first half of 2014, thats less than the 36,500 jobs added during the same period in 2013. Total employment in the I.T. sector has surpassed where it was before the 2008 recession but still lingers below the industry-high levels in 2000.
IT Median Salaries Mid-Year 2013 vs. Mid-Year 2014
The report also highlights the highest-paid I.T. professionals. This year, Facebooks chief technology officer Michael Schroepfer tops the list with a total compensation package of $12.5 million. Thats down from $20 million he earned in 2012, according to the companys financial filings.more info
Cloud a mixed bag for CIOs and IT ProfessionalsMay 12th, 2014
A major research firm recently estimated that the number of cloud-related IT jobs in North America would grow 22% per year from 2012 to 2015, with the total number of positions reaching 2.7 million. The research firm published that finding in a report titled Climate Change: Clouds Impact on IT Organizations and Staffing.
They found that cloud computing could become the key infrastructure model for computing by 2030. Other findings include
- 50% of CIOs felt cloud computing was a high IT priority.
- 66% of CIOs are planning, implementing, or using cloud computing in some fashion.
- 75% of CIOs have security, access, or data control concerns with the public or private implementation of cloud computing.
High Unemployment States Job Market Improves SlightlyApril 23rd, 2014
High unemployment states for the most part have improved. In March, the West continued to have the highest regional unemployment rate, 7.2 percent, while the South again had the lowest rate, 6.0 percent. Over the month, only the Midwest had a statistically significant unemployment rate change (-0.1 percentage point). Significant over-the-year rate declines occurred in all four regions: the South (-1.2 percentage points), Northeast (-1.1 points), West (-1.0 point), and Midwest (-0.8 point).
- more info
H-1B Visas taken up by outsourcersApril 1st, 2014
Offshore outsourcing companies continued to make up the majority of the top H-1B visa users in 2013, according to new government data. These offshore firms have been adding employees by the thousands as their revenues increase. Infosys (India based) led the list in 2013 with 6,298 visas approved, just edging out Tata (India based) which had 6258 visas approved last year. Cognizant, a New Jersey-based IT services provider with major operations overseas, led the list in 2012 but dropped to 3rd. The company had 5,186 visas in 2013 versus 9,281 visas approved in 2012 versus 5,095 in 2011.
Employment News Digest - IT Job Market Not PositiveMarch 21st, 2014
- CIO confidence wanes Hiring slows CIO worries IT job market growth continues to slow from 9,800 jobs in January and 5,500 jobs in February to 5,400 in March ...
- IT Job Market News CIO confidence wanes IT job market growth slows from 9,800 jobs in January to 7,900 in May 87,600 jobs added in the last 12 months CIO confidence...
- CFOs Sour on US Economy IT Hiring Anemic in November CFOs and CIO drive Anemic IT Hiring Trend in November IT job market growth is only 400 job in November, 4,300 in the last 3...
- IT Job Market Growth Slows IT job market growth slows to 5,700 in February from 9,800 in January according to BLS data says Janco Even with the unemployment rate falling...
- IT Job Market Improving? Some say the IT Job Market is improving from the 2009 slump IT Job Market Improving? An on-line job portal, Dice says IT degree graduates...
- more info
Career planning is critical for IT ProsMarch 17th, 2014
Given the nature of technical work and technical people, most generic career advice is close to useless. And too much of it is just plain unrealistic. You don't need yet another list of 24 things you can do to advance your career.
No one has time to focus on that many things, and honestly, most of them make little difference. It's better to select the one essential thing that will make a big difference and focus on that exclusively.more info
Dowload 2014 IT Salary SurveyMarch 13th, 2014
Get a free copy of the 2014 IT Salary Survey. Just got to http://www.e-janco.com/Salary.htm.more info
Current College Grads in IT get lower starting salariesMarch 10th, 2014
One more study agrees with the salary data that Janco Associates published in January of this year.
Starting salaries for recent college graduates with computer science degrees slipped a bit in 2013. The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) reports in its January 2014 Salary Survey that the overall average starting salary for new graduates rose 2.6% from 2012. But for those with computer science degrees, the average starting salary went from $59,221 in 2012 to $59,084 in 2013, a drop of 0.2%.more info