CIO - Job Description - Salary - IT - News
New overtime pay rules releasedMay 20th, 2016
New overtime pay rules released
The U.S. Department of Labor released its revised overtime rules. The exempt salary threshold level will increase from the current minimum of $455 per week, or $23,660 a year, to $913 per week, or $47,476 annually.more info
Education MattersMay 11th, 2016
The higher the level of education, typically the greater is the compensation and lower the unemployment rate is.more info
Staff retention will be key to successMay 2nd, 2016
Staff retention will be key to success
Cash is king for retaining top talent. Short-term incentive design is a complex process with many variables to consider. Although a cost-effective approach for motivating executives, your plans must strike a balance between sustainable value sharing while keeping ethics and pay equality in check.
CIOs need to strengthen thier expertise of short-term incentive plan design and strategy. To help avoid misalignment, CIO must gain insight on how to identify and weigh critical factors unique to thier business, staffing needs, and staff retention.- more info
Data Scientist job descriptionApril 11th, 2016
Data Scientist job description
The Data Scientist is the postion that is hardest to fill as companies swim in more data than they know what to do with. Big data is the marriage of structured data (a company's proprietary information) with unstructured data (public sources such as social media streams and government feeds).
Big data no longer suffering from the lack of tools with R and Hadoop. Data Scientist are geared to get value out of this critical resource.
Requirements for this position are:
- more info
- Masters in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field; PHD degree preferred.
- Typically requires 5 or more years of relevant quantitative and qualitative research and analytics
- Solid knowledge of statistical techniques.
- The ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially large datasets.
- Strong programming skills (such as Hadoop MapReduce or other big data frameworks, Java), statistical
modeling (like SAS or R).
- Experience using machine learning algorithms.
- High proficiency in the use of statistical packages.
- Proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience leading teams.
Employees not productive 25% of the timeMarch 22nd, 2016
Employees not productive 25% of the time
25% of the time employees are not doing much work based on validated responses from nearly 2,000 employees.
Businesses use absenteeism rates as an indicator of engagement and productivity because it's easy to quantify. But a growing body of independent research indicates that businesses are focus on the wrong measure of productivity; absenteeism is not the major culprit. While employees are absent from work an average of four days per year each, they say theye are unproductive on the job for 57.5 days each - almost three working months.
- more info
- Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide Without good personnel no Information Technology organization can succeed. The first step in getting the right people is to know what roles and responsibilities they have. The Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide has this plus more.
Some of the "c-Level" descriptions included in this offering are:
- Chief Information Officer(CIO)
- Chief Information Officer (CIO) - Small Enterprise
- Chief Security Officer (CSO)
- Chief Compliance Officer (CCO)
- Chief Mobility Officer (CMO)
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Chief Digital Officer (CDO)
To see the structure used for all of the job descriptions go Job Description Structure.
Hertz cuts 230 IT jobs as it outsourcesFebruary 18th, 2016
Hertz cuts 230 IT jobs as it outsources
Hertz will cut 230 IT jobs as they outsource work to IBM. The employees work at a Hertz technology center in Oklahoma City, Okla.
Hertz's CFO said they have 1,500 people in the back office, which is quite double what it should be. He said the firm's IT spend is over $400 million a year.more info
Hot Microsoft skills highlighted by JancoFebruary 12th, 2016
Hot Microsoft skills highlighted by Janco
Hot Micosoft skills have been highlighted by Janco Associates in its 2016 IT Salary Survey. The skills in high demand are:
- SQL Server - Big Data is the driver on this - Microsoft SQL Server skills can command a 10% premium over other data and database administrator positions
- .Net - .NET development skills can command an 8% premium over starting salaries for application development positions
- Sharepoint - part of the enterprise computing environment and Sharepoint skills can command a 9% premium over starting salaries
- Windows 10 - as enterprise adoption of Windows 10 continues, demand for administrators who haveworked with the new platform is increasing -- many potitions are available
- Azure - Cloud based solutions are expanding and Azure skills can command up to 10% more than traditional IT positions
- more info
California Paid Sick Leave LawJanuary 23rd, 2016
California's Paid Sick Leave Law
California laws governing benefits are complex at best. California employers must allow their eligible employees to accrue at least three paid sick days per year. The new law is among a swelling number of paid sick leave laws being enacted in cities and states across the United States. Compliance to the law as well as posting requirements is required.
Under the new law, employers of all sizes, including very small businesses, must allow employees who work at least 30 days per year to earn and take paid sick days. All types of employees - including full-time, part-time and temporary - can be covered by the law.
Beyond the accrual rules, employers must also take some steps to ensure employees know how many sick days they have available and inform them of their rights.more info
IT Job Market NewsJanuary 18th, 2016
IT Job Market News
- Job Market DC leads the country with the 7.3% unemployment rate Job Market DC leads the country with the highest unemployment rate 19 states have unemployment rates of 6.0% or greater in December Even with...
- Unemployment Data Is The BLS Playing With It? Feds say they may delay the unemployment report It is ever so amazing that the feds are now saying that they may delay the unemployment...
- Unemployment picture looking better but Unemployment remains over 8% in 14 states Unemployment picture is looking better in many parts of the country, however some states continue to see levels...
- IT Employment Up In a Soft Job Market Between the first to second quarter of this year, the unemployment rate of computer hardware engineers went from 4.4% to 0.5%. For software developers, the...
- Unemployment Levels over 6% in 12 states Unemployment Levels over 6% in 12 states State Unemployment Levels Unemployment Levels by State The National unemployment data provides a measure of the health...
IoT Manager new job title in ITJanuary 7th, 2016
IoT Manager new job title in IT
- Janco Associates latest handbook of corporate IT jobs found the diversity of IT-related job titles is expanding.
- Janco identified a total of 273 job titles, up from less than 100 when they first began tracking IT job titles in 1989.
- Three new positions were added to the 2016 handbook Internet-of-Things manager, Android programmer and manager of green initiatives.