Steps to improve IT workforce productivity include:
Develop a strong team orientation - Effective teams and the effective planning and execution provide the structure necessary to get the best from all team members. Well written job descriptions are a first step in that process.
Align roles and performance objectives - Change causes by today's business environment causes misalignments of roles and focus of a significant number of the workforce. Job descriptions that are results and metric driven are an essential tool in the management process.
Set performance goals and manage workforce with that as the focus - A majority of the workforce performs better if they have specific goals they must achieve. Good job description include measurable goals.
Evaluate workforce based on defined objectives and goals - Review job performance based on job content and metrics to see how they can be modified to improved organizational productivity and minimize organizational dysfunction.
IT Best Practices News and Information
35 high risk IT projects identified by GAOFebruary 13th, 2015
35 high risk IT projects identified by GAO
35 high risk IT projects have been identified by the GAO in a recent audit of federal IT projects. They fall in the following six areas which cover the breath of the entire federal government:
- Government infrastructure Improvement projects
- Transforming DOD Program Management
- Ensuring Public Safety and Security
- Managing Federal Contracting More Effectively
- Assessing the Efficiency and Effectiveness of Tax Law Administration
- Modernizing and Safeguarding Insurance and Benefit Programs
CIO IT Infrastructure Policy Bundle (more info...) All of the policies below are included as individual MS Word files and a single PDF file. Electronic forms are all individual documents that are easily modifiable
- Backup and Backup Retention Policy (more info...)
- Blog and Personal Web Site Policy (more info...) Includes electronic Blog Compliance Agreement Form
- BYOD Policy Template (more info...) Includes electronic BYOD Access and Use Agreement Form
- Google Glass Policy Template (more info...) Includes electronic Google Glass Access and Use Agreement Form
- Incident Communication Plan Policy (more info...) Updated to include social networks as a communication path
- Internet, e-Mail, Social Networking, Mobile Device, Electronic Communications, and Record Retention Policy (more info...) Includes 5 electronic forms to aid in the quick deployment of this policy
- Mobile Device Access and Use Policy (more info...)
- Patch Management Policy (more info...)
- Outsourcing and Cloud Based File Sharing Policy (more info...)
- Physical and Virtual Security Policy (more info...)
- Record Management, Retention, and Destruction Policy (more info...)
- Sensitive Information Policy (more info...) HIPAA Compliant and includes electronic Sensitive Information Policy Compliance Agreement Form
- Service Level Agreement (SLA) Policy Template with Metrics (more info...)
- Social Networking Policy (more info...) Includes electronic form
- Telecommuting Policy (more info...) Includes 3 electronic forms to help to effectively manage work at home staff
- Text Messaging Sensitive and Confidential Information (more Info...)
- Travel and Off-Site Meeting Policy (more info...)
- IT Infrastructure Electronic Forms (more info...)
- more info
Campus secuirty driven by last year's eventsJanuary 14th, 2015
In the past year, we've seen a number of trends emerge in campus security at both the higher education and K-12 level, as U.S. school districts and universities enhance their security measures. On the K-12 level, much of this activity is being driven by the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School and other similar events. In higher education, the Clery Act continues to be one of the primary drivers of change. Both education segments and analyze the most significant security trends taking place in each.
Security Manual Template
Policy and Procedure Manual
Compliance Management Made Easy
ISO 27000 / HIPAA / SOX / CobiT / FIPS 199 Compliant
Supports Meaningful Use Compliant Stage Implementation
Includes PCI DSS Audit Program
Many organizations fail to realize the benefits of security information management due to the often exhaustive financial and human resource costs of implementing and maintaining the software. However, Janco's' Security Manual Template - the industry standard - provides the infrastructure tools to manage security, make smarter security decisions and respond faster to security incidents and compliance requests within days of implementation. The template provides a framework for evaluating SIM services and shows how they could be applied within your organization.- more info
Even with improved IT job market layoffs continue - 600 at QualcommDecember 10th, 2014
Qualcomm is laying off roughly 600 employees worldwide, as it plans to refocus its business into new areas, a company spokesperson confirmed to CNET on Tuesday.
Qualcomm said 300 employees would be cut in California, where the company has its San Diego headquarters and several other offices. A "similar number" of international employees will also be laid off. At the end of September, Qualcomm had about 31,300 full-time, part-time and temporary employees, up about 300 from the year earlier, according to regulatory filings.more info
CIO concerns when creating business continuity plansNovember 27th, 2014
Disasters Happen - Business Continuity Disaster Recovery How do you balance the business continuity disaster recovery risk and investment equation? Is the potential risk greater than the investment? The facts are: 43% of companies experiencing disasters never reopen, and 29% Continue readingmore info - more info
Disaster Planning has been impacted by EbolaOctober 23rd, 2014
Ebola shows how exotic threats filed in the it will never happen folder can impact anyone and cause major disruption.
Another such threat is from Solar flares traveling from the sun to the earth which contain massive amounts of energy can disrupt electronic systems. This along with a man made high altitude electromagnetic pulse could be just as devastating as solar storms.
The question for business continuity managers is how can we prepare for these events? Is it possible to build a business continuity and/or disaster recovery plan that addresses a long-term power outage and inability to operate most electronic devices?more info