Best Practices include the following:
Promote Proactive Steps To Be Taken by All
Every manager and key employee should have a replacement in mind. A succession planning process should be created and reviewed regularly. If the plan is not viewed positively and does not support employee retention then it needs to be re-worked.
Use Existing Human Resource Evaluation and Compensation Systems
Existing systems drive performance of the enterprise's staff use them as metrics in the succession planning process. If the right individuals are not moved into these key positions then your performance evaluation systems are wacky. The people who should be promoted and are not not will see that and leave creating a problem for your enterprise in the future.
Use the Same Succession Planning Process Across the Entire Enterprise
If the same succession plan is in place across the entire enterprise, then cross group movement will be encouraged and people will not feel they are locked in because some is not leaving the enterprise.
HandiGuide & Job Descriptions - pdf format
The Internet and IT Position Descriptions comes in PDF format The PDF book is over 750 pages in length and contains 270 Job Descriptions Descriptions in addition to a Job Progression Matrix Template, Job Evaluation Questionnaire, and Position Description Questionnaire.
Includes positions from CIO, CSO and CTO to Wireless and Metrics Mangers. All of the positions in the book have been created to reflect the technology world of 2014.
Job Descriptions - MS WORD format
270 Internet and IT Job Descriptions as individual files in WORD .docx formats. Long file names have been used to make customization easier.
Includes positions from CIO, CSO, and CTO to Wireless and Metrics Mangers. All of the positions in the book have been created to reflect the technology world of .
HandiGuide & Job Descriptions - pdf & MS WORD formats
The Internet and IT Position Descriptions comes in PDF format and WORD files. The PDF book is over 750 pages in length and contains 270 Job Descriptions Descriptions in addition to a Job Progression Matrix Template, Job Evaluation Questionnaire, and Position Description Questionnaire. There is one word file for each job description (WORD .docx format). Long file names have been used to make customization easier.
Includes positions from CIO, CSO and CTO to Wireless and Metrics Mangers. All of the positions in the book have been created to reflect the technology world of 2014.
BONUS ---- If you provide us with up to five (5) completed Position Description Questionnaires within 30 days of purchase, we will create the 5 position descriptions for you and provide you with 24 months of free update service for the HandiGuide and all job descriptions that we update and create.
Update Service & Custom Job Descriptions
This service will provide you with updates to each of the products listed below for a period of 12 months from the date of the purchase of the service. In addition, you are entitled to 3 custom job descriptions. You will have to complete the Position Description Questionnaire (which we will provide to you via email upon your request). It typically will take 5 working days to provide you with the completed job description.
IT Best Practices News and Information
Career and Compensation current readingsJuly 2nd, 2015
Career and Compensation current readings
- more info
- 2015 Mid-Year Salary Survey Released by Janco 2015 Mid-Year Salary Survey Released by Janco 2015 Mid-Year Salary Survey Janco Associates, Inc. has just released its 2015 mid-year salary survey. To read about...
- IT Budget Requests for 2015 are up IT Budget Requests for 2015 are up CIOs are presenting IT budget requests for 2015. Small to mid-sized business with fewer than 250 employees are...
- Which IT Jobs are in High Demand High Demand for Which IT jobs CIOs and HR Managers are asking the question which IT jobs are in high demand. Janco found that Android continues to...
- IT Staffing 2015 IT staffing 2015 IT staffing companies and researchers released a flurry of information as the first half of the year ended. 2015 is looking great...
Employment picture improves for IT ProsJuly 1st, 2015
Employment picture improves for IT Pros
Janco forecasts that there will be 160,000 new IT jobs created in 2015. That is based on data collected from Janco's 2015 mid-year IT Salary Survey and data collected from the BLS.
At the same time the overall employment picture has improved with 10 states at full employment levels and onlyt 14 states with unemployment levels over 6%.
Mid-Year 2015 IT Salary Survey Released by eJobdescription.comJune 22nd, 2015
Mid-Year 2015 IT Salary Survey Released by eJobdescription.com
2015 Mid-Year Salary Survey - eJobdescription.com has just released its 2015 mid-year salary survey. To read about the salary survey go to http://www.e-janco.com/salary.htm.
IT Median Salaries Mid-Year 2014 vs. Mid-Year 2015
- more info
- 10 findings in IT Salary Survey by Janco (37.7) 2013 IT Salary Survey Released -10 major findings Janco has just released its IT Salary Survey and had ten (10) major findings. You can...
- Mid-Year IT Salary Survey Released (30.7) Mid-Year IT Salary Survey Released The just released Mid-Year IT Salary Survey shows that IT professionals compensation rose...
- IT Compensation up as CIOs are hiring (19.7) IT Compensation up as CIOs turn on hiring spigot IT Compensation up Janco has just analyzed the latest Labor Department (BLS) data and interviewed...
- IT Staffing 2015 (19.5) IT staffing 2015 IT staffing companies and researchers released a flurry of information as the first half of the year ended. 2015 is looking great...
- IT Salaries Rise (19.3) IT Salaries Rise In 2015 IT Salaries will increase across the board for IT Pros. In preliminary results of Janco Associates 2015 IT Salary survey...
Project Managers in high demandJune 10th, 2015
Project Managers in high demand
As CIOs continue launch new development projects, IT staffers with project management skills are hot commodities.- more info
NEWS -- 2015 Internet and IT Position Description HandiGuide Released - This is the 26th update to this CIO and HR tool. It now contains 270 job descriptins and is almost 800 pages in length.
Top 10 Resume ErrorsMay 22nd, 2015
10 Things To Avoid in your Resume
- more info
- Resume that is too long
- Resume that does not represent you in the best first impression
- Resume that is not structured well
- Resume that contains spelling errors
- Resume that contains grammatical and tense errors -
- Resume that does not agree with your "social profile"
- Resume that contains a photo
- Resume that is not 100% accurate
- Resume that is the same for each job and company
- Not following up
Intel is hiring more women and under-represented minoritiesMay 7th, 2015
In the first half of 20154, almost 1 in 6 of Intel's senior hires were historically under-represented minorities - about double the rate last year. Intel also doubled its senior hiring among women to 1 in 3
In summary, roughly 41 percent of Intel's hires for the year so far have been "diverse". That is up from about 30 percent a year ago.more info
What are IT Pros looking for?April 27th, 2015
It is getting harder to find good IT Pros. The talent out there has many more choices than ever. They are in the drivers seat.
CIOs who do find good IT Pros start with staff retention and understanding how they think, rather than details about their accomplishments or skills. These CIO and IT managers are interested in individuals - not just the job.
To accommplish this with new hires they get them to participate with other in the IT function. In that way they become part of the IT team quicker and say longer.- more info
IT Pros who are baby boomers are not retiringApril 14th, 2015
IT Pros who are baby boomers are not retiring as fast as they had inspected. Baby boomers' confidence in a secure retirement fell to a 5-year low. Only 27% of are highly confident their savings would last them through retirement, while 24% have reported delaying plans to retire. On the plus side, 44% expect their financial situations will improve in the next 5 years, up from 32% in 2012.- more info
Interviewing and Hiring must read articlesApril 9th, 2015Articles on Interviewing and Hiring ProcessSalary Negotiation New Job - New Salary - Salary Negotiation New Job - New Salary - What both employers and interview candidates need to know -- the salary that employees are paid for thei...- more info... New Salary What both employers and interview candidates need to know-- the salary ... - New Salary What both employers and interview candidates need to know-- the ...The most important aspect of any business is recruiting, selecting, and retaining top people.... can use to get to know your candidate on a more personal basis. The ... Policy Site Map Blog Top 10 Lists Interviewing- How To Excel in the Hiring ...Here are the top 10 things that recruiters need to do when they are hiring... Practices Even in a bad employment market candidates still need to say yes when they ... Map Blog Top 10 Lists Top 10 Interview Best Practices Even in a bad employment ...Interview and Hiring Guide Released - With this addition to the IT Hiring Kit, CIO and IT recruiters have the tools necessary to ensure the best q...... tools necessary to ensure the best qualified candidates are asked all of the right questions ... Policy Site Map Blog Top 10 Lists Interview and Hiring Guide Released Guide added to ...Interview and Hiring Guide Released - With this addition to the IT Hiring Kit, CIO and IT recruiters have the tools necessary to ensure the best q...... tools necessary to ensure the best qualified candidates are asked all of the right questions ... Policy Site Map Blog Top 10 Lists Interview and Hiring Guide New Version Guide added ...Question you cannot ask in the interview process... each interview in order to put all candidates on an even playing field Anyone conducting ... Lists Question you cannot ask in the interview Have an outline in place (and ...
10 questions CIOs need to ask before they fire an IT ProMarch 19th, 2015
10 questions CIOs need to ask before they fire an IT Pro
- Am I abiding by company policy?
- Am I being fair?
- Am I following state and federal employment law?
- What documentation of the cause of termination is needed?
- Where and when should I fire the employee?
- Should I break the news to my other employees?
- What should I say to the employee when I fire him or her?
- What loose ends do I need to tie up?
- What should I do if I hear from the terminated employee again?
- What should I do if a potential future employer of the fired employee calls me for a reference check?
H-1B propsal will make it more difficult for US born and trained IT Pros to find workMarch 9th, 2015
The US Senate is being pushed by lawmakers from both parties to raise the H-1B visa cap from 65,000 to 195,000 per year. The proposed bill includes no restrictions on offshoring, and the IEEE-USA has said that, if passed, the proposal will "destroy" the U.S. tech workforce by making it easier to replace U.S. citizens with guest workers, mostly young men, who are paid less.
The CEO of Janco Associates said, "The H-1B program is one that is sure to make the job market tighter for American born and trained IT Pros."more info
53% of CIO say that IT spending will be up between 5 to 8 %March 2nd, 2015
Three groups now see an increase in IT Budgets: Janco Associates, SIM, and Computerworld.
IT leaders will see bigger technology budgets in the coming year. Not only are tech budgets bigger, this year IT spending is rising more than it has in the past six years. Fifty-seven percent of CIOs say they will see an overall budget increase in the coming year, up from 53 percent and 51 percent the previous two years, respectively.
IT budgets are expected to rise an average of 6.2 percent, up from 5.2 percent a year ago and 3.9 percent in the prior year.more info
As hiring picks up CIOs have some new challenges to addressFebruary 11th, 2015
As hiring picks up CIOs have some new challenges to address
CIOs are on a mission to acquire specific skill sets to drive profitable business growth. In this regard, they are focused primarily on securing the necessary talent from external sources. Yet many CIOs and ITorganizations already have highly-qualified people. The challenge is discerning the current employee base to detect skill voids and determining ways to address these gaps through targeted education and training.
CIOs need to:
- Evaluate current skill sets to discern voids in intellectual capital;
- Create mentoring programs to pass on expertise to younger workers; and
- Follow best practices in employee training and education - what world-class organizations are doing to align their human capital with strategic goals.
Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide Without good personnel no Information Technology organization can succeed. The first step in getting the right people is to know what roles and responsibilities they have. The Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide has this plus more.more info
Hiring is up in 2015 - but not as much as 2014February 3rd, 2015
Employers are selectively hiring this year and it is still hard to find quality workers.
Executives at more than 200 closely held companies surveyed expect their full-time equivalent employees to rise by 1.6% in 2015, lower than the 1.7% increase in FTE hiring in 2014. The low percentage is despite the fact that 83% of the respondents forecast positive growth at their companies in 2015.
One-third said they were unable to fill open positions over the past year, particularly for technology and engineering positions. Many blue-collar positions were also left unfilled due to gaps in skills of many workers who have been out of the workforce since the recession. Thirty-seven percent of the respondents worry about finding qualified workers, up nearly 10 percentage points from a year ago.more info
2014 ends on positive noteJanuary 16th, 2015
2014 ended on a postivie note for IT hiring according to an article in Infoworld.
Analyst firm Janco Associates noted that the numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics were a vast improvement over the previous year's tally of 68,500 jobs added. The company's discussions with approximately 100 CIOs yielded a similar picture: Hiring is on an upswing, with "a real shortage of IT pros with experience in cloud based applications and mobile computing."
IT hiring in December didn't equal the highs of some other months this year, but IT jobs were still added to the economy at a steady clip. The IT sector gained 7,900 jobs in December (out of 252,000 jobs added overall), bringing the total number of jobs gained in the information technology space in 2014 to almost 113,000.- more info
New Skills Required by World Class IT ManagersJanuary 15th, 2015
As the number and scope of client-vendor relationship continues to expand , IT Managers are discovering that they need new skills. No longer playing a passive role in negotiations and budgeting, many must now develop expertise in areas such as finance, accounting and law.
IT Managers can be extraordinarily valuable if they have further education on the business side. The business side is where you truly understand how the technology is being applied for the betterment of the company.
IT Managers now are creating RFPs, determining pricing, receiving quotes, reviewing products and calculating the potential returns on IT investments. Often the only thing he says they do not do is sign vendor contracts that is left for the CIO or other authorizing individuals.
Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide Without good personnel no Information Technology organization can succeed. The first step in getting the right people is to know what roles and responsibilities they have. The Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide has this plus more.
Some of the "c-Level" descriptions included in this offering are:
- more info
- Chief Information Officer(CIO)
- Chief Information Officer (CIO) - Small Enterprise
- Chief Security Officer (CSO)
- Chief Compliance Officer (CCO)
- Chief Mobility Officer (CMO)
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Chief Digital Officer (CDO)
To see the structure used for all of the job descriptions go Job Description Structure.
H-1B Visas encourage outsourcers to use non-US IT ProsDecember 8th, 2014
Some industry groups want to restrict the use of H-1B visas by offshore outsourcing firms. These positions are designed to get offshore outsourcing firms to hire more U.S. workers and curb their ability to move jobs out of the U.S.
How to Guide for
Cloud Processing and Outsourcing
ISO Compliant - Including ISO 31000more info
16 States have over 6.5% UnemployedNovember 29th, 2014
States with High Unemployment - 16 States have over 6.5% Unemployedmore info
one more than in September -- Question is the economy improving?
Career planning is critical for IT ProsNovember 27th, 2014
Given the nature of technical work and technical people, most generic career advice is close to useless. And too much of it is just plain unrealistic. You don't need yet another list of 24 things you can do to advance your career.
No one has time to focus on that many things, and honestly, most of them make little difference. It's better to select the one essential thing that will make a big difference and focus on that exclusively.more info
IT Job Market - trends and recent newsNovember 27th, 2014
IT Job Market - Recent Postings
- IT Job Market Improving? Some say the IT Job Market is improving from the 2009 slump IT Job Market Improving? An on-line job portal, Dice says IT degree graduates...
- IT Job Market Improves IT job market increases significantly with 20,400 jobs added in July One in five organizations is looking to hire additional IT staff within the next...
- Job Market Improves for IT Pros IT job market growth continues with an increase in January Job market continues to look good for IT pros with more jobs added in the...
- IT Job Market Growth Slows IT Job Market Growth Slows IT Job Market growth has slowed. Year to date the number of net new jobs created is only 52,700. That...
- IT Job Market is Poor at Best IT Job Market Is Poor At Best The information technology job market in the U.S. shrank by 6,600 jobs in September, and the number of...
IT Job Descriptionsmore info
Top 10 list for career advancement:September 12th, 2014
To 10 list for career advancement:
- more info
- Top 10 Interview Questions
- Top 10 CIO Leadership and Management Traits
- 10 Questions on Disaster Planning Every CIO Should Have Answers for
- Top 10 interview best practices
- Top 10 steps to an effective IT organization
Staffing challenges facing most CIOs and organization identified in a new surveyAugust 23rd, 2014
Staffing in many organizations is challenge. Finding the right balance between older and younger workers is one the greatest challenges.
Workers born between 1979 and 1997 are highly sought for their technology skills. One survey says that IT companies arent doing enough to support these millennial employees.
CompuCom in a survey found that 34% of IT professionals say their organizations arent doing anything specific to support younger staffers. Only 11% have SMS/texting support, while 13% offer support for mobile devices. Only 21% of IT firms offered Bring Your Own Device ( BYOD ) to work enablement, and just 13% allowed the use of social media at work.- more info
HR is one of the most complex issues facing CIOsAugust 21st, 2014
As the workplace grows more diverse and budgets shrink, CIOs have strong incentives to improve overall HR efficiency and reduce the cost of managing employees and the recruitn processes.
To that end the Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide is the one tool that is manaded.more info
CIOs who make over $1 million dollars now are commonAugust 12th, 2014
Janco Associates has reviewed the compensation for hundreds of CIOs and has identified 29 CIOs who made over $1,000,000 in 2013.In comparing this list with last year's, Janco found that most of the CIOs on the 2013 have maintained their high compensation levels with increases in both base and "other" compensation. Those that have left the list have retired (2), been promoted (1), or left (for a new opportunity / been terminated) (5). Even on this current list there are 3 CIOs who are no longer with these companies.
IT Job Market News - Recent ArticlesAugust 6th, 2014
IT Job Market News - Recent Articles
- IT Job Market Growth Slows in August IT Pros face a mixed job market with a net gain of only 12,400 IT jobs in August versus the 13,600 jobs added in...
- IT Job Market Growth Slows IT job market growth slows to 5,700 in February from 9,800 in January according to BLS data says Janco Even with the unemployment rate falling...
- IT Job Growth Slows, Though CIOs Anticipate Hiring Next Year IT Job Growth Slows, Though CIOs Anticipate Hiring Next Year Both the New York Times and Janco Associates have say that the job market is...
- CIO confidence wanes Hiring slows CIO worries IT job market growth continues to slow from 9,800 jobs in January and 5,500 jobs in February to 5,400 in March ...
- IT Job Market is Stagnant IT Job Market Shows Few Signs of Growth The latest BLS unemployment rate has gone down, but so has the job participation rate which fell...