CIO - Productivity Kit
IT and Internet Job Descriptions
Disaster Recovery Template
IT Service Management Template
Sensitive Information Policy -
Salary Survey - Security Template
The CIO productivity kit Standard edition contains
- 243 job descriptions in MS WORD .docx format
- Current IT Salary Survey for US and Canada (by city) PDF
- IT Infrastructure, Strategy, and Charter Template in MS WORD .docx format
- Disaster Recovery Template which is Sarbanes Oxley compliant in MS WORD .docx format
- Security Template which is Sarbanes Oxley and ISO 27000 compliant in MS WORD .docx format
- IT Service Management Template (Change Management, Help Desk, and Service Requests) in MS WORD .docx format
- Sensitive Information Policy (Protect Credit Card Card and Personal Information) in MS WORD .docx format
The CIO productivity kit Metric edition contains
- Practical Guide for Cloud Outsourcing in MS WORD .docx format
- Metrics for Internet and IT (metric kit) in MS WORD .docx format
- Service Level Policy Agreement Policy Template (metric kit) in MS WORD .docx format
The Disaster Recovery Plan template (DRP) can be used for any enterprise. DRP Template is sent to you via e-mail in WORD and/or PDF format. Included is a Business Impact Questionnaire as well as a full Job Description for the Disaster Recovery Manager
The plan is 178 pages and includes everything needed to customize the Internet and Information Technology Security Manual to fit your specific requirement. The electronic document includes proven written text and examples for your security plan.
The 239 Internet and IT Position Descriptions are in Word for Windows format (.docx). Includes positions from CIO and CTO to Wireless and Metrics Managers. All of the positions in the book have been created to reflect the technology world of today.
The Service Level Agreement Policy Template is a nine page policy for a single application, It defines specific SLAs and metrics that are both internally and externally focused. The sample contain over 70 possible metrics presented graphically in PDF format.
IT Salary Survey
The Janco Associates, Inc. survey draws on data collected throughout the year (data as of January 2011) by extensive internet-based and completed survey forms sent to businesses throughout the United States and Canada. Our database contains over 85,000 data points.
CIO - CTO - CSO News
Record Management, Retention, and Destruction PolicyApril 28th, 2016
The volume of documents within organization is exploding, managing these documents is a real and pressing challenge. If your organization is like many others, paper documents, emails, faxes, PDFs, CAD and other office documents are left unmanaged and stored in filing cabinets, on file servers or on desktop PCs around the office. This exposes your organization to compliance risks, service delays, cost overruns and a host of other challenges.
Today, software solutions are available that combine document and records management capabilities into a single, complete offering. These solutions enable you to reduce the time, cost and complexity of storing and accessing your documents throughout the information lifecycle. They also give you the power to improve access to critical documents, enhance customer service and operational efficiency - all while reducing risks and addressing compliance demands.- more info
Contract terms for outsource agreemeentsApril 8th, 2016
Specific contractual provisions to minimize cyber risk in outsourcing contracts are:
- Setting security standards for the vendor;
- Restricting on subcontracting;
- Employee related protections, such as background checks and training;
- Security testing;
- Security audits;
- Security incident reporting and investigation;
- Data retention and use restrictions;
- Customer data access rights; and
- Vendor liability for cyber incidents.
Ten tips to protect your sensitive personal informationMarch 30th, 2016
- Monitor credit reports
- Never provide personal information over public Wi-Fi
- Protect your password
- Don't use the same password on all accounts
- Never store passwords on your computer
- Watch out for phishing emails
- If you do receive a suspicious-sounding email, contact your service provider directly
- Take physical precautions
- Shred bills, credit offers, and expired credit cards
- Layer your cybersecurity
Credit card chip usage expandingMarch 23rd, 2016
Credit card chip usage expanding
Credit card chip usage improves the security landscape. Some key facts that you need to understand are:
- Credit card chips reduce counterfeit card fraud: Countries that have been using chip cards for many years have seen significant reductions in counterfeit card fraud. In the UK, for example, counterfeit card losses have been reduced by 70%.
- An increased number of chip cards in consumers' possession: over 400 million chip cards have been issued in the U.S. as of the end of 2015.
- Majority of all retail outlets now accept chip cards: almost 90% of all travel, entertainment, and high cost retail operations accepts chip cards
Things that physical credit card sites need to do to minimize transaction costs are:
- Swipe and insert: Always make sure to swipe or insert cards whenever possible. Manually keying in card information can cause a higher interchange rate for the transaction.
- Daily settlement: Settle transactions each day. If you routinely settle transactions more than 24 hours after they are authorized.
- Get accurate customer information: For online transactions validate customers' billing and address information is entered correctly.
IBM changes it severance payment policyMarch 6th, 2016
IBM changes it severance payment policy
IBM has been a workplace leader in employment practices. For example IBM was an early adopter of equality measures and same-sex benefits. It also became a leader in globalizing its workforce, hiring aggressively overseas as it reduced its U.S. headcount.
IBM may be starting new trend: Reduced severance when employees are laid off.
The company is now conducting a layoff of its U.S. employees as it rebalances its workforce. But laid-off workers say that instead of leaving with as much as 26 weeks of severance, they are getting only a month's pay under a recently initiated company policy.
Fringe Benefits for IT Professionals
Companies have started to cut back on the fringe benefits provided to IT Professionals. For example in 2010 86% of IT professionals had health insurance supplied by their employers while in 2014 only 79% did. A full historical comparison of trends in benefits is included with the full version of the Janco IT Salary Survey.more info
Over 100,000 PINs hacked from IRSFebruary 12th, 2016
In January there was an attack on IRS using stolen Social Security numbers yielded 100,000 plus PINs that can be used to file tax returns electronically.
Using a robot (automated bot), attackers attempted to obtain E-file PINs corresponding to 464,000 unique SSNs, and did so successfully for 101,000 SSNs before the IRS blocked it.more info
Forecast for fewer new jobs in 2016 than 2015 and 2014February 8th, 2016
Forecast for fewer new jobs in 2016 than 2015 and 2014
Hiring has slowed for the last several months, as a result Janco has just issued a forecast for the number of new IT jobs the US will see over 100,000 new IT jobs in 2016.
Janco reported that the BLS revised it data so that only 113,000 new IT jobs were created in 2015 and 2014. That data adjustment by the BLS magnifies the slowing in new IT job creation.more info
CIO's productivity is the key to success and compensationJanuary 22nd, 2016
CIO's productivity is the key to success and compensation
For CIO's productivitgy the organizational structure must support the goals of the organization and be consistent with its culture and capabilities. Well-defined reporting structures are based on the IT and business direction; take into account organizational barriers; and consider the effect of combining or separating the functions that are targeted for change.
- Top 10 CIO Productivity and Budgeting Issues (9.3) CIO Productivity Kit The best companies, and their CIOs, recognize the importance of ready access to the right information to drive the right choices...
- Top 10 Things a CIO Needs to Add Value Top 10 for CIOs -What does the CIO have to do to be viewed as a business person versus a technologist? There are many strategies...
- 10 ways a CIO can get ahead 10 Ways a CIO can get promoted The role of the CIO and CTO is changing as more enterprises more towards a Value Added role...
- 10 steps to jump start your business continuity planning business continuity planning 10 steps to jump start your BCP Business Continuity For many businesses there is some technology component that allows them...
- Top 10 Interview Questions Top 10 interview questions can lead to more specific questions that improve the chances of a successful hire In a review of over 1,000 job...
CIO and IT Manager Tools
You can get all of Janco's templates in its IT Management Suite. When you do that you save over $2,500 and when implemented your enterprise is positioned to have a "WORLD CLASS" Information Technology function. You will be in compliance with all mandated requirements including all US and International requirements.
- more info
- IT Management Suite (CIO and CTO Special offer) - Save over $2,500
- IT Infrastructure Architecture with 24 months of updates - Save over $2,000
- CIO HR and Staffing Management Kit with or without update service - Save over $3,000
- CIO Concerns Management Toolkit with or without update service - Save $1,500 to $3,500
IT Job DescriptionsJanuary 8th, 2016
IT Job Descriptions
The Internet and IT Position Description HandiGuide has just been released. The 2016 Edition includes 273 FULL JOB DESCRIPTIONS. They have all been updated to meet the latest mandated requirements, BYOD support and a full set of Enterprise Resource Planning positions. New in the 2016 edition are the following:
- Updated job descriptions to meet compliance requirements
- Updated Employee Termination Form to include BYOD and Personal Computer data removal
- Added 3 job descriptions; Manager IoT; Manager Green Initiatives; and Android Programmer
What factors need to be considered in a disaster recovery planDecember 16th, 2015
What factors need to be considered in a disaster recovery plan
Janco Associates has developed a data recovery plan template that businesses can use to build their own plan together with guidance on what needs to be included. Janco recommends that any plan should take into account the following:
- IT services: Which business processes are supported by which systems? What are the risks?
- People: Who are the stakeholders, on both the business and IT side, in a given DR process?
- Suppliers: Which external suppliers would you need to contact in the event of an IT outage? Your data recovery provider, for example.
- Locations: Where will you work if your normal premises are rendered inaccessible?
- Testing: How will you test the DR plan?
- Training: What training and documentation will be provided to end users?